Yoga & Hiking retreat overview
Invigorate your mind, body and soul with twice daily yoga, hikes in spectacular scenery, ridiculously healthy cuisine, ‘fun but good for you’ activities and plenty of free time to relax, read, swim, head to the beach, explore nearby or take a guilt free snooze!
Yoga and Hiking are the perfect combination. Hiking is great for the heart and lungs but on it’s own can create tight leg muscles and an aching back. But with the help of yoga you’ll improve your flexibility & strength, increase your mobility and deepen your breathing. Hence the gaps left by hiking are perfectly balanced by yoga.
Head to the sun and move your body!
"I have never been on a yoga holiday before but I can't imagine I could have found a better one for what I was looking for." Cynthia
Location Yoga & Hiking Retreat Holidays
Our Yoga & Hiking Holidays take place in the coastal town of Altea, an hour north of Alicante. Altea is surrounded by coast hugging mountains that tumble to the sea and is considered to be one of the prettiest towns in this area with cosy white washed houses lining narrow cobbled streets, little artisan studios, a stunning blue domed church and a gorgeous coastline.
According to the World Health Organisation this is one of the healthiest places on Earth!
Accommodation Yoga & Hiking Holidays
We’re delighted to host this retreat near the sea at an Olive mill that’s been owned by a local Spanish family for over 300 years.
The mill is now a peaceful country house hotel with awesome views to the sea & mountains and located just a short walk to the very pretty ‘old town’ of Altea & it’s beach.
There’s a pool in the garden, a small gym & sauna, a light filled yoga studio and a restaurant where we’ll dine most nights.
The 22 spacious rooms are well equipped with double or twin beds, air-conditioning, WiFi, safety deposit, a fridge, TV and a daily maid service to keep everything fresh & sparkling. Every room has a private ensuite bathroom with lovely fluffy bathrobes, plump towels, hairdryer and complimentary Oliva del Mediterraneo toiletries.
We never ask (nor expect) solo guests to share & so you’ll have your own double room with private bathroom for a reasonable supplement of £75 for the week. Unless you’d like to share with a friend of course?
"I loved the hotel, the ambiance, the character and the delicious food." Carol
The Hikes & Activities
Our first walk is a good leg stretch with an easy 14k walk along quiet lanes & tracks close to the hotel. Passing groves of oranges, lemons, limes, olives, figs, almonds and avocados before heading to the sea and returning to the hotel via the picturesque old town of Altearead more...
The second hike is classed as ‘moderate to challenging’ in the nearby mountains where we’ll take you on one of our favourite routes (… we have several favourites!). As you’ll be be out for 4-5 hours we include a picnic lunch on this day. There’s also time for a 3rd self-guided easy coastal walk to our neighbouring town if you fancy.
All walks are included in your holiday and you can of course opt out of a walk if you’d like a rest. We do however suggest that the mountain hike may not be comfortable for anyone with vertigo.
When you’re not hiking or doing yoga, we have some ‘fun-but-good-for-you’ optional activities too ….
We know how important it is to have down time and so we allow for that but, if you did fancy something else we have a guided bike ride, Spanish cookery masterclass plus some lovely pampering treatments. Or you could laze by the pool in the sunshine & loose yourself in a book for a few hours.
The twice daily yoga sessions are carefully & thoughtfully planned to complement the hikes with alignment based Hatha yoga, warming Vinyasa flow and Restorative Yoga to help you deeply relax.
You’ll be taught by two seasoned yoga teachers and a meditation teacher during your stay which is a sure way to expand your knowledge and pick up new tips.
Morning yoga tends to be a little more dynamic to lift your energy and spirit whereas evening sessions are a little slower where you’ll hold yoga postures to give your body time to to open up and let you back in. Pranayama and meditation is often included in the classes.read more...
The yoga is suitable for keen beginners right up to the super flexible yogi. Our teaching style is precise but relaxed and, as safety is important, you’ll hear plenty of alignment cues too.
There’s no pressure to create the ‘perfect’ yoga postures. We’ve all come to yoga with different bodies and abilities and so it’s important that you pay attention to how the yoga feels in your body regardless of whether you achieve the full expression of the pose. Likewise there’s no room for ego as it’s not what we’re about. It doesn’t matter what other people are doing around you, just listen to your body and gently explore what it can do. Meet our teachers
"I've so enjoyed my break & can understand why you have so many returnees .. I'll be back too!" Wendy
We aim to nourish you with dishes that are predominantly plant based though locally caught fish is an option some eves for those that would like it. As you’ll be pretty active with yoga & hiking, we make sure you are adequately nourished to ensure you have the energy to do all the things you love.read more...
We’re blessed to have a continuous source of water from the surrounding mountain springs & so we have a year round supply of delicious fruits & veggies nearby. Our menus change seasonally to make best use of this harvest.
Breakfasts are abundant with wholesome cereals, egg dishes, Spanish cold cuts & local cheeses, yogurts (inc. dairy free), fresh fruits, juices, sun kissed tomatoes & avocados, selection of breads, breakfast cakes, infusions & teas. Gluten & dairy free dishes are available too with advance notice.
We take supper ‘at home’ on all but two eves where Chef loves to prepare super tasty 3-course suppers including a healthy dessert … after all, you have been working very hard with all this yoga & hiking! There are 2 eves where your taste buds will be free to explore local dining .. its a great way to immerse yourself in a new culture .. and we’ll organise a meal out on one of these free eves too should you like to join us.
Yoga & Hiking Retreat Schedule
Each day begins quietly with herbal tea & fruit whilst you slowly awaken. Next its 90 minutes of uplifting Yoga to open your body & senses to the day followed by a hearty brunch of fresh fruits, wholesome cereals, yogurts, local cheeses & cold cuts, Spanish tortilla, hot eggs, sun kissed tomatoes, avocados, breakfast cakes, breads, juices, teas & infusions.
Before evening yoga you could join one of our optional activities (see below), indulge in a heavenly therapy, wander into town or relax by the pool.
Late afternoon we gather for another yoga session to help us unwind from the day. We’ll dine at the hotel on 3 evenings .. delicious 3 course plant based supper .. but leave 2 eves free for your taste-buds to explore local dining. On one of these eves we’ll organise a meal at a local restaurant which you are very welcome to join.
We like our retreats to be super relaxed & so if there’s a morning you’d like a lie-in or an afternoon where you’d like to skip class and wander into town, no problem! Do whatever your soul asks.
OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES :
In addition to twice daily yoga you can:
- Join us for a 14k ‘coast & country’ walk on your first morning
- Head into stunning mountains with us for a mountain hike with picnic lunch
- Sign up for a bike ride, Spanish cookery masterclass or enjoy some pampering with our heavenly wellness team
- Explore the nearby pretty town of Altea
- Take a walk along the beach to the neighbouring town
- Ease any aching muscles in the sauna
- Have a guilt free snooze in your lovely comfy room
- Make yourself a cuppa, find a cosy corner & curl up with a book
Need convincing? See more of our reviews
Yoga & Hiking Holidays : Dates & Investment
2020 : March 26-31 from £795.00, April 23-28, October 8-13 & October 22-27 from £815.00
Payment can be in UK Sterling or Euros in full or instalments – see how to book for details
- 5 nights accommodation in rural tranquility. Unless you’re bringing a friend to share with, you’ll have your own double room for a supplement of £75.00 for the week (the lowest sup we’ve seen in our industry :).
- Welcome circle on arrival day – chance to meet everyone
- Fresh fruits & herbal teas each morning on waking
- 3x 90 minute morning yoga sessions to uplift & inspire
- 4x 90 minute evening yoga to unwind & stretch out from the day
- Love Your Mind meditation workshop on Sunday eve
- Guided 14k coast & country walk
- Guided mountain walk (4.5-5 hour) with picnic lunch
- Maps for a self-guided coastal walk
- Brunch buffet with seasonal fruits, wholesome cereals, egg dishes, Spanish cheeses & cold cuts, yogurts, fresh juice, locally grown tomatoes & avocados, assorted breads, breakfast cake, infusions & teas. Gluten & dairy free options available with advance notice.
- Delicious plant based 3-course suppers at the hotel on three evenings. On two eves your taste buds can explore the excellent local restaurants. On one of these eves we’ll organise a group meal at a local restaurant if you’d like to join us.
- Optional activities: guided bike ride, Spanish cookery & therapies at reasonable prices
- All yoga equipment – mats, blocks, straps & blankets
- Option to extend your stay & book extra nights – ask us for details
- Use of the hotel’s small gym & sauna – sauna incurs a small charge
- Unlimited herbal teas to keep you hydrated
- Services of our experienced Retreat Host to ensure everything goes smoothly & you don’t have to lift a finger – we’re quite serious about that!
- Well-being gifts to help you unwind
- Option to join our group airport transfer service from/to Alicante – see below
"Thank you SO much for an incredibly fun, relaxing and insightful week. It was exactly what I needed and I couldn't have done it without you!" Louise
Our private group airport transfer from/to Alicante airport takes an hour to reach our yoga hotel & is €40 each way. We leave the airport on arrival day between 11.00-13.00 and arrive back at airport on final day at approximately mid-day. Check your flight options to Alicante here.
Please ensure your arrival flight lands no later than 12.45 on arrival day to allow sufficient time to collect your luggage & meet our driver. On the final day you should book a flight that departs no earlier than 13.30.
Can’t find a flight to join our transfers?
We can book a private taxi (up to €130) for you & any other guests that miss our transfer or, we can reserve a seat for you on a airport shuttle bus service (€30) that brings you to a stop nearby where you’d catch a taxi for the final 10 minutes to us.
Or, consider arriving a day earlier & spending the night in Alicante returning to the airport the following day to meet our transfer.