Yoga & Hiking Retreat Holidays
2017 : March 30-4 April & October 19-24 from £715.00Book Now
(can’t make these dates? see our other retreats here)
Location: 4-star country house hotel with pool & awesome views in Altea.
Bring some fresh air into your yoga practice on this Yoga and Hiking Retreat Holiday. Yoga and Hiking are the perfect blend of two complementing exercises. Hiking is great for the heart and lungs but on it’s own can create tight leg muscles however, by adding lengthening yoga stretches you’ll loosen your hamstrings, build strength, deepen your breathing and improve mobility. So, by fusing yoga & hiking together on one retreat means that you’ll receive a total boost to your fitness as the gaps left by hiking will be filled by yoga. Perfect!
Our Yoga & Hiking holiday is set in the coastal town of Altea, an hour north of Alicante – airport transfers available, see below. Altea is a lovely Spanish town sheltered by coast hugging mountains that tumble to the sea. It is considered to be one of the prettiest in this area, especially the ‘old town’ with it’s breath-taking bay views, cobbled streets and white washed houses. This really is a great location for a Yoga and Hiking retreat holiday.
Yoga & Hiking Retreat Holiday – Accommodation
You’ll stay at a 300 year old Olive farm that’s been owned by the same Spanish family for generations before they transformed it into a 4-star country house hotel with beautiful mountain & sea views. The hotel has a perfect position; sitting at the point where the countryside meets the edge of town and so we have peace & tranquility yet, the very pretty of Altea is an easy 10min stroll and the beach 25mins.
There’s a pool in the garden, a yoga studio with fabulous mountain views, a sauna, small gym and restaurant that creates delicious vegetarian & fish dishes for us whilst Vincenta – the hotel owner – brings us fresh eggs from her happy hens and bakes a breakfast cake for us every day.
The 20 en-suite rooms are spacious and superbly equipped with double or twin beds, individually controlled air-conditioning, mini-bar, TV, safety deposit, telephone, ensuite bathroom with a fluffy bathrobe & complimentary toiletries, fresh towels, hairdryer, WiFi and a daily maid service.
Solo travelers are not asked nor expected to share their room with others so all rooms are available for single use for only £75 extra for the week.
“I loved this hotel, it is so cosy and just a short walk from the old town of Altea which is truly jaw dropping picture perfect. The group were so wonderfully friendly & fun. I don’t know if all yoga retreat groups mesh so well but there was very little ego and a whole lot of just getting to know one another. I have never been on a yoga holiday before but I can’t imagine I could have found a better one for what I was looking for.”
Cynthia, October 2015
Our first walk is an easy 13k guided route through quiet lanes & country tracks close to the hotel. We’ll pass Altean country houses, crops of oranges, lemons, olives, figs and avocados before heading towards the sea & back to the hotel via the old town. A great opportunity to stretch your legs and get to know everyone.
Our second hike is in the stunning mountain scenery beyond the hotel with a picnic lunch. We’ll be walking the Puig Campana mountain, the second highest peak on our coast at 1408m and 66ft higher than Ben Nevis. But don’t worry we are not be climbing to the top, instead we’ll be walking around the mountain to enjoy the full 360 degree views across the neighbouring mountains & down to the sea. We should be out for 4-4.5 hours including a stop for a picnic. This hike and is classed as ‘moderate to strong’ as it begins with a steady ascent before continuing on tracks & rocky trails. You’ll see stunning picture postcard views, mountain flora & fauna and possibly, eagles, falcons, choughs, red squirrels and wild boar.
There’s also a chance to do a 3rd self guided coastal hike using maps provided by us. All walks are of course optional.
When not hiking, we have a few other activities you can join if you fancy – there’s an optional guided bike ride, horse trek, Spanish cookery workshop or, lay back and let our fantastic therapists pamper you with their soothing treatments & massages.
The daily yoga sessions are designed to complement the hikes combining the deep stretches of Hatha with the warming flow of Vinyasa and some deeply restorative and relaxing Yin Yoga. Morning yoga sessions focus on simple flowing sequences to stretch muscles and open joints whilst synchronising your breath with movement so that your practice becomes like a calming moving meditation. Evening classes are more restorative where we will hold postures a little longer using the breath to move deeper within and re-connect with your inner peace.
The level is suitable for keen beginners, those with a lapsed practice & intermediate yogis. Our teaching style is precise but relaxed and, as safety is important, expect to hear plenty of alignment cues to keep you on track. There’s no pressure to create the ‘perfect’ yoga postures. We’ve all come to yoga with different bodies and different abilities and so what’s more important is that you pay attention to how the yoga ‘feels’ in your body regardless of whether you manage to achieve the full expression of the posture. Likewise there’s no room for ego as it’s not what we’re about. It doesn’t matter what other people are doing around you, just work with what you have. Be patient, keep practicing and your body will open up & let you back in.
“As this was my first ever yoga holiday I really appreciated your organised & friendly approach. The hotel is lovely, the yoga studio ideal and Nicole, your yoga sessions are reassuring but respectfully challenging at the same time. I’ve so enjoyed my break & can understand why you have so many returnees .. I’ll be back too!” Wendy, April 2016
Read more about our yoga teachers here
Watch Patrick’s review of this holiday
Yoga & Hiking Retreat programme overview:
Each day begins around 8am with a cup of refreshing herbal tea & fresh fruits to help you slowly awaken. Then, at 8.30am we head to the yoga shala for a 90 minute yoga session to open your body & senses to the day before a buffet breakfast feast at 10am overlooking the pool. Breakfasts are plentiful & include seasonal fruits, wholesome cereals, fresh eggs, yogurts, local cheeses, hams, juices, variety of breads & pastries, jams, honey and a fresh homemade cake.
Then, depending on the day, you could be :
- Heading out on the guided 13k ‘coast & country’ hike
- Setting off for the mountains for a guided mountain hike with a picnic lunch
- Striding out with our maps on a self guided coastal hike to the neighbouring town
- Taking part in the optional Guided bike ride or Horse Trek – from €35
- Joining Chef Juan in his kitchen for a Spanish cookery workshop & lunch – €30
- Enjoying some pampering with our holistic therapies – massages, facials, reflexology, reiki & more – from €50
- Or, simply relax by the pool, curl up with a book, use the sauna or gym.
Late afternoon we regroup for the 2nd yoga class to unwind from the day before a delicious vegetarian supper. On 2 eves you are free to dine out at the local restaurants – the choice is wide. On one of these free eves we organise a meal at a local restaurant which you are free to join if you wish.
We like our retreats to be super relaxed so if there’s a morning you’d like a lie-in, please do. If there’s an afternoon you’d like to wander into town & skip class, no problem! Please do what your soul asks.
Yoga & Hiking holiday investment includes
2017 March 30-4 April & Oct 19-24 from £715
Payment can be in instalments or in full via bank transfer or with a card
- 5 nights accommodation in spacious en-suite twin or double room. All solo travellers are given their own ensuite double room for only an extra £75.00 for the week.
- Welcome gathering with refreshments & healthy snacks on arrival day
- 7 x 90minute morning & evening yoga & meditation sessions with caring, experienced teachers
- Mudras, Meditation & Mantras workshop on Sunday evening – nice way to end the week
- Guided 13k coast & country walk
- Guided mountain walk (4.5-5 hour) with picnic lunch
- Self guided coastal walk up to 17k – you can head back at any time
- Daily ‘light breakfast’ of fresh fruits & herbal teas prior to morning yoga
- Healthy buffet breakfasts after morning yoga – fresh fruits, nuts, wholegrain cereals, fresh eggs, tortilla, cheeses, yogurts, hams, variety of breads, croissants, cakes, juices & teas.
- Wholesome vegetarian evening suppers with refreshments x3 – fish option offered some nights too. During your stay there will be two evenings where your taste buds can explore local restaurants. One of these evenings we will organise a group meal at a local restaurant, your attendance is not compulsory nor complimentary, join us if you fancy.
- Optional guided bike ride, Spanish cookery workshop or horse trek – from €30
- Optional pampering therapies – from €50
- Services of a Retreat Manager to help organise your stay
- Unlimited herbal teas throughout
- Well-being gifts to help you unwind
- Private group airport transfer service from/to Alicante @ €40 each way. Operates at selected times – see below