Proud to be a Top 10 Yoga Retreat in the World and featured in
Yoga & Hiking Retreat Holidays
2018 : March 22-27, April 12-17, October 4-9 & 18-23 from £720.00 Book Me in!
(can’t make these dates? see our other retreats here)
Location: 4-star country house hotel with pool & awesome views in Altea.
Bring some fresh air into your yoga practice on this Yoga and Hiking Retreat Holiday. Yoga and Hiking are the perfect blend of two complementing exercises. Hiking is great for the heart and lungs but on it’s own can create tight leg muscles however, by adding lengthening yoga stretches you’ll loosen your hamstrings, build strength, deepen your breathing and improve mobility. So, by fusing yoga & hiking together on one retreat means that you’ll receive a total boost to your fitness as the gaps left by hiking will be filled by yoga. Perfect!
Our Yoga & Hiking holiday is set in the coastal town of Altea, an hour north of Alicante – airport transfers available, see below. Altea is a lovely Spanish town sheltered by coast hugging mountains that tumble to the sea. It is considered to be one of the prettiest in this area, especially the ‘old town’ with it’s breath-taking bay views, cobbled streets and white washed houses. This really is a great location for a Yoga and Hiking retreat holiday.
Yoga & Hiking Retreat Holiday – Accommodation
You’ll stay at a 300 year old Olive farm that’s been owned by the same Spanish family for generations before they transformed it into a 4-star country house hotel with beautiful mountain & sea views. The hotel has a perfect position; sitting at the point where the countryside meets the edge of town and so we have peace & tranquility yet, the very pretty of Altea is an easy 10min stroll and the beach 25mins.
There’s a pool in the garden, a yoga studio with fabulous mountain views, a sauna, small gym and restaurant that creates delicious vegetarian & fish dishes for us whilst Vincenta – the hotel owner – brings us fresh eggs from her happy hens and bakes a breakfast cake for us every day.
The 20 en-suite rooms are spacious and superbly equipped with double or twin beds, individually controlled air-conditioning, mini-bar, TV, safety deposit, telephone, ensuite bathroom with a fluffy bathrobe & complimentary toiletries, fresh towels, hairdryer, WiFi and a daily maid service.
Solo travelers are not asked nor expected to share their room with others so all rooms are available for single use for only £75 extra for the week.
“I loved this hotel, it is so cosy and just a short walk from the old town of Altea which is truly jaw dropping picture perfect. The group were so wonderfully friendly & fun. I don’t know if all yoga retreat groups mesh so well but there was very little ego and a whole lot of just getting to know one another. I have never been on a yoga holiday before but I can’t imagine I could have found a better one for what I was looking for.”
Our first walk is an easy 13k guided route through quiet lanes & country tracks close to the hotel. We’ll pass Altean country houses, crops of oranges, lemons, olives, figs and avocados before heading towards the sea & back to the hotel via the old town. A great opportunity to stretch your legs and get to know everyone.
Our second hike is in the stunning mountain scenery beyond the hotel with a picnic lunch. We’ll be hiking the Puig Campana mountain, the second highest peak on our coast at 1408m and 66ft higher than Ben Nevis. This 4.5-5 hour hike is classed as moderate to ‘challenging in places’ on tracks and rocky trails but don’t worry, we’ll not hike up to the top, we’ll circumnavigate around the mountain to enjoy the full 360 degree views across the neighbouring mountains & down to the sea. Expect to see stunning picture postcard views, mountain flora & fauna and possibly, eagles, falcons, choughs, red squirrels and wild boar.
There’s also a chance to do a 3rd self guided coastal hike using maps provided by us. All walks are of course optional.
When not hiking, we have a few other activities you can join if you fancy – there’s an optional guided bike ride, Aerial Yoga class and Spanish cookery workshop or, lay back and let our fantastic therapists pamper you with their soothing treatments & massages.
The daily yoga sessions are designed to complement the hikes combining the deep stretches of Hatha with the warming flow of Vinyasa and some deeply restorative and relaxing Yin Yoga. Morning yoga sessions focus on simple flowing sequences to stretch muscles and open joints whilst synchronising your breath with movement so that your practice becomes like a calming moving meditation. Evening classes are more restorative where we will hold postures a little longer using the breath to move deeper within and re-connect with your inner peace.
The level is suitable for keen beginners, those with a lapsed practice & intermediate yogis. Our teaching style is precise but relaxed and, as safety is important, expect to hear plenty of alignment cues to keep you on track. There’s no pressure to create the ‘perfect’ yoga postures. We’ve all come to yoga with different bodies and different abilities and so what’s more important is that you pay attention to how the yoga ‘feels’ in your body regardless of whether you manage to achieve the full expression of the posture. Likewise there’s no room for ego as it’s not what we’re about. It doesn’t matter what other people are doing around you, just work with what you have. Be patient, keep practicing and your body will open up & let you back in.
“As this was my first ever yoga holiday I really appreciated your organised & friendly approach. The hotel is lovely, the yoga studio ideal and Nicole, your yoga sessions are reassuring but respectfully challenging at the same time. I’ve so enjoyed my break & can understand why you have so many returnees .. I’ll be back too!” Wendy
Read more about our yoga teachers here
Watch Patrick’s review of this holiday
Yoga & Hiking Retreat programme overview:
We greet each day around 8am with a cup of herbal tea & some fresh fruits to help us slowly awaken from our slumbers. Then, at 8.30am it’s time for a 90 minute yoga session where’ll we’ll open our body & senses to the day with a range of warming vinyasa flow, hatha yoga deep stretches and pranayama (cleansing breath work). Now we’re ready for some nourishment & so we head to the buffet brunch and feast on seasonal fruits, wholesome cereals, hot egg dishes, yogurts, locally grown tomatoes, Spanish cheeses & cold cuts, freshly squeezed orange juice, assorted breads & pastries, jams, honey and homemade breakfast cakes.
Then, depending on the day, you could be :
- Heading out on the guided 13k ‘coast & country’ hike
- Setting off for the mountains for a guided mountain hike with a picnic lunch
- Striding out with our maps on a self guided coastal hike to the neighbouring town
- Taking part in the optional Guided bike ride or Aerial yoga workshop
- Joining Chef Juan in his kitchen for a Spanish cookery workshop
- Enjoying some pampering with our holistic therapies – massages, facials, reflexology, reiki & more
- Or, simply relax by the pool, curl up with a book, use the sauna or gym.
Late afternoon we regroup for the 2nd yoga class to unwind from the day before a delicious vegetarian supper. We dine at the hotel on all but two evenings when your taste buds are free to explore local restaurants. On one of these free evenings, we’ll organise a meal at a local restaurant which you are most welcome to join if you like.
We like our retreats to be super relaxed so if there’s a morning you’d like a lie-in, please do. If there’s an afternoon you’d like to wander into town & skip class, no problem! Please do what your soul asks.
2018 Yoga & Hiking holidays :
March 22-27 from £720.00
April 12-17 from £740.00
October 4-9 & 18-23 from £720.00
Pay in full or in instalments starting with a £300 deposit. Payment can be by Sterling or Euro bank transfer or with a card via PayPal.
- 5 nights accommodation in spacious en-suite twin or double room at our 4* country house hotel. All solo travellers are given their own ensuite double room for an additional £75.00 for the week.
- Welcome gathering with refreshments & healthy snacks on arrival day
- Daily 90 minute morning yoga practice to awaken the body & mind to the day
- Relaxing 90 minute evening yoga sessions to unwind and relax before a great nights sleep
- Mudras, Meditation & Mantras workshop on Sunday evening – a peaceful end to the week
- Guided 13k coast & country walk on your first morning
- Guided mountain hike with picnic lunch
- Maps for a self guided 18k coastal walk – you can make this a shorter walk by heading back at any time
- Daily fresh fruits to help you awaken before morning yoga
- Unlimited herbal teas to keep you hydrated
- Delicious daily brunch feast after morning yoga. Help yourself to seasonal fruits, wholegrain cereals, fresh eggs, Spanish tortilla, local cheeses & cold cuts, yogurts (inc dairy free), freshly squeezed orange juice, assorted breads, croissants, cakes & teas.
- 3-course wholesome vegetarian evening suppers – including fish option too. We dine at the hotel on all but two evenings when your taste buds are free to explore the local restaurants – such a great way to immerse yourself in a new country. On one of the free evenings, we’ll organise a group meal at a local restaurant which you can join if you like.
- Optional activities to help you enjoy this area: guided bike ride, Spanish cookery workshop or aerial yoga – from €30
- Optional pampering therapies with our wellness team – from €50
- Services of an experienced Yoga Breaks in Spain retreat manager to help organise your stay
- Yoga Breaks in Spain well-being gifts to help you unwind
- Private group airport transfer service from/to Alicante @ €40 each way. Operates at selected times – see below