Yoga & Hiking Retreat Holidays
2016 : March 17-22, April 7-12 & October 20-25 from £695.00
2017 : March 30-4 April & October 19-24 from £695.00
(can’t make these dates? see our other retreats here)
Location: 4-star country house hotel with pool & awesome views in Altea.
Bring some fresh air into your yoga practice on this Yoga and Hiking Retreat. Yoga and Hiking are the perfect blend of two complementing exercises. Hiking is great for the heart and lungs but on it’s own can create tight leg muscles however, by adding lengthening yoga stretches you’ll loosen your hamstrings, build strength, deepen your breathing and improve mobility. So, by fusing yoga & hiking together on one retreat means that you’ll receive a total boost to your fitness as the gaps left by hiking will be filled by yoga. Perfect!
Our Yoga & Hiking retreat is set in the coastal town of Altea, an hour north of Alicante – airport transfers available, see below.
Altea is a lovely Spanish town sheltered by coast hugging mountains that tumble down to the sea. Considered to be one of the prettiest in this area, especially the ‘old town’ with it’s breath-taking views across the bay, cobbled streets and delicious selection of restaurants, tapas bars, artists studios and jewelers. This really is a great location for your Yoga and Hiking retreat holiday.
Yoga & Hiking Retreat – Your Acommodation
The hotel sits in a fabulous peaceful position, at the very point where the countryside meets the edge of town and so you have the tranquility of the countryside but yet, you’re an easy 10 minutes walk to the white washed ‘old town’ of Altea – considered to be one of the prettiest in the area – and an easy 25mins walk to the beach.
The hotel has an outdoor pool & sunbathing deck in the garden, a yoga studio with mountain views, a sauna & small gym plus, a Michelin listed restaurant that creates delicious vegetarian & fish dishes for us whilst Vincenta – the hotel owner – brings us fresh eggs from her hens and cooks a delicious cake for us every day – heaven!
The 20 en-suite rooms are spacious and superbly equipped with double or twin beds, individually controlled air-conditioning, mini-bar, TV, ensuite bathroom with complimentary toiletries, bathrobe, fresh towels, hairdryer, WiFi and a daily maid service.
Solo travelers are not asked nor expected to share their room with others so all rooms are available for single use for only £75 extra for the week.
“I loved this hotel, it is so cosy and just a short walk from the old town of Altea which is truly jaw dropping picture perfect. The group were so wonderfully friendly & fun. I don’t know if all yoga retreat groups mesh so well but there was very little ego and a whole lot of just getting to know one another. I have never been on a yoga holiday before but I can’t imagine I could have found a better one for what I was looking for.”
Cynthia, October 2014
Our first hike is an easy guided walk through the quiet countryside near to the hotel. Passing by local Altean country houses, crops of oranges, lemons, olives and avocados before heading towards the sea & back to the hotel via the old town. A great opportunity to stretch your legs, get to know everyone and feel more familiar in your new ‘home’.
Our second hike is in the stunning mountains near the hotel. You’ll be walking an undulating route along ancient Mozarabic trails built by the Moors hundreds of years ago to enable easier travel between their mountain settlements. You’ll see fantastic views, mountain flora & fauna, an Iberian settlement over 2000 years old, remains of a Moorish castle and possibly, eagles, falcons, choughs, red squirrels and wild boar. We finish the walk with a delicious vegetarian Paella at a family run mountain restaurant .. have a glass of vino if you fancy, you deserve it!
There’ll also be chance to do a 3rd self guided coastal hike from the hotel along the seafront using maps provided by us. All walks are optional & open to everyone.
If you fancy exploring further afield, when you’re not hiking you’ll have an opportunity to join the optional guided bike ride, horse trek, Spanish cookery workshop or just lay back and let our holistic therapists pamper you with their soothing massages, facials, reflexology, reiki and much more.
The daily yoga sessions are designed to complement the hikes combining the deep stretches of Hatha with the warming flow of Vinyasa and some deeply restorative and relaxing Yin Yoga. Morning yoga sessions focus on simple flowing sequences to stretch muscles and open joints whilst synchronising your breath with movement so that your practice becomes like a calming moving meditation. Evening classes are more restorative where we will hold postures a little longer using the breath to move deeper within. Re-connect with your inner peace. Bliss.
The level is suitable for keen beginners, those with a lapsed practice & intermediate yogis. Our teaching style is precise but relaxed and, as safety is important, expect to hear plenty of alignment cues to keep you on track. There’s no pressure from us to create the ‘perfect’ yoga postures. We’ve all come to yoga with different bodies and different abilities and so what’s more important to us is that you pay attention to how the yoga ‘feels’ in your body regardless of whether you manage to achieve the final stage of the posture. Likewise there’s no room for ego as it’s not what we’re about. It doesn’t matter what other people are doing around you, just work with what you have. Be patient, keep practicing and your body will open up & let you back in.
“I really enjoyed the yoga and the fact that each day was different. Thank you for introducing me to Yin yoga, I have been practicing this most evenings since I got home & think it’s the perfect balance to my Ashtanga practice.” Leigh, October 2014
Read more about our yoga teachers here
Watch Patrick’s review of this holiday
Yoga & Hiking Retreat programme overview:
Each day begins around 8am with a cup of refreshing herbal tea & fresh fruits to help you slowly awaken. Then, at 8.30am head to the yoga shala for a 90 minute yoga session to open your body & senses to the day before we feast on a healthy & delicious buffet breakfast/brunch at 10am overlooking the pool. Breakfast is plentiful & includes; seasonal fruits, wholesome cereals, yogurts, local cheeses, hams, fresh eggs, juices, breads, jams, honey and fresh homemade cake.
Then, depending on the day, you could be :
- Heading out on the guided 14k ‘coast & country’ hike
- Setting off for the mountains for a guided hike on ancient Mozarabic trails including a Paella lunch
- Striding out with our maps on a self guided coastal hike to the neighbouring town
- Taking part in the optional Guided bike ride or Horse Trek – from €35
- Joining Chef Juan in his kitchen for a Spanish cookery workshop & lunch – €30
- Enjoying some pampering with our holistic therapies – massages, facials, reflexology, reiki & more – from €50
- Or, simply relax by the pool, curl up with a book, use the sauna or gym.
Late afternoon we regroup for the 2nd yoga class to unwind from the day before a delicious vegetarian supper. On 2 eves you are free to dine out at the local restaurants – the choice is wide. On one of these free eves we organise a meal at a local restaurant which you are free to join if you wish.
We like our retreats to be super relaxed so if there’s a morning you’d like a lie-in, please do. If there’s an afternoon you’d like to wander into town & skip class, no problem! Please do what your soul asks.
Yoga & Hiking holiday investment includes:
2016 March 17-22 £685, April 7-12 £695 & Oct 20-25 £695
2016 March 30-4 April & Oct 19-24 £695
Payment can be in instalments or in full via bank transfer or with a card
- 5 nights accommodation in spacious en-suite twin or double room. All solo travellers are given their own ensuite double room for only an extra £75.00 for the week.
- Welcome gathering with refreshments & healthy snacks on arrival day
- 7 x 90minute morning & evening yoga & meditation sessions with caring, experienced teachers
- Mudras, Meditation & Mantras workshop on Sunday evening – nice way to end the week
- Guided 14k coast & country walk
- Guided mountain walk (4.5-5 hour) with Paella lunch
- Self guided coastal walk up to 17k – you can head back at any time
- Daily ‘light breakfast’ of fresh fruits & herbal teas prior to morning yoga
- Healthy buffet breakfasts after morning yoga – fresh fruits, nuts, wholegrain cereals, fresh eggs, tortilla, cheeses, yogurts, hams, variety of breads, croissants, cakes, juices & teas.
- Wholesome vegetarian evening suppers with refreshments x3 – fish option offered some nights too. During your stay there will be two evenings where your taste buds can explore local restaurants. One of these evenings we will organise a group meal at a local restaurant, your attendance is not compulsory nor complimentary, join us if you fancy.
- Optional guided bike ride, Spanish cookery workshop or horse trek – from €30
- Optional pampering therapies – from €50
- Services of a Retreat Manager to help organise your stay
- Unlimited herbal teas throughout
- Well-being gifts to help you unwind
- Private group airport transfer service from/to Alicante @ €40 each way. Operates at selected times – see below
Mail us with any questions or call us now:
(0034) 620 147 089
Need convincing? watch our guest & press reviews or see our other retreats
*Our private group airport transfer service.
Operates from/to Alicante airport. Pick up on arrival will be between 11am-13.00 & arrive at airport on final day for midday. Transfers take an hour & cost €40 per person each way. Check your flight options to Alicante here.
Please ensure your flight arrives no later than 12.15 on arrival day & departs no earlier than 13.30 on departure day to allow you to clear customs & the luggage hall.
Flights outside of our transfer service we are happy to book a private taxi for you or book you on a resort ‘hopper’ shuttle bus service from/to the airport.